Sen.-elect John Lehman today charged that Sen. Van Wanggaard and GOP leadership are "insulting" the voters of the 21st Senate District by refusing to concede last month's recall election.
Lehman said the campaigns have heard virtually the same result in the 21st District three times -- in unofficial returns, in the official canvass and after a recount -- and said he wants to get to work on job creation with Senate Dems.
Lehman had a lead of 819 votes following the conclusion of the recount Monday, down from an 834-vote lead in the canvass. Wanggaard, R-Racine, may still challenge the results in court, and said after the recount ended that he would take some time to weigh his options. He has until July 10 to file a lawsuit.
"We have a long history of close elections in Racine," Lehman said. "But for somebody to stretch that, and to say that, 'We want to keep talking about this as some kind of a fraudulent situation,' is just really inappropriate and doesn't respect the long tradition in this country of peaceful turnover of power."
Senate Republicans responded that Wanggaard's actions are justified.
“Van Wanggaard is granted time under the law to decide whether or not to appeal the recount,” said CERS executive director Dan Romportl. “In light of all issues that were exposed with the city of Racine’s facilitation of the election, it is certainly justifiable that Van is using that time to decide what course of action to take.”